Laurel & Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies – The Ultimate Edition
By Randy Skretvedt
Limited Edition Hardcover • ISBN: 978-1-937878-04-7 • Retail Price: $79.95
Randy Skretvedt's seminal Laurel & Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies is generally acknowledged as the gold standard in writing about the work of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. Since the book's original release in 1987, it has been updated several times through the early 1990s. But over the last 15 years, author Skretvedt has been compiling an "Ultimate Edition" of his master work, with nearly 50% more text and quadruple the number of photos of previous editions.
And to mark its release, Bonaventure Press is producing a single limited print run of this special edition, as an oversized 8.5 by 11 hardcover, with heavy glossy paper and all the trimmings of a top-quality art book, to help show off its 1,000 rare photographs and greatly expanded text.
• Close to 800 of the images are new to this edition, and include many never-before-published, one-of-a-kind pictures from Babe Hardy’s personal collection.
• Exclusive quotes and fascinating anecdotes from interviews with more than 60 of the team’s co-workers, including producer Hal Roach, editors Richard Currier and Bert Jordan, musical director Marvin Hatley, actresses Anita Garvin and Dorothy Granger, and actor Henry Brandon.
• Detailed accounts of hilarious unused scenes, culled from the original scripts.
• Details about the locations where the team filmed many of their most famous scenes.
• Full cast and credit information for each film, providing the names of all the players and their roles as well as previously unknown members of the technical crews. And full information about the musical scores, including the titles of all cues and names of composers.
• Full information on the many films which are still missing, as well as a section about the “new” short subjects created for TV.
BONUS OFFER: Copies purchased directly from Bonaventure Press will be autographed and numbered by the author, and accompanied by a FREE audio CD of excerpts from the author's interviews with L&H luminaries. Copies not purchased directly from Bonaventure Press will not be signed, numbered or accompanied by the CD.
"A giant volume, not only the best book on Laurel and Hardy ever assembled but also one of the best books on film comedy and Hollywood."
- Kirkus Reviews
"Passionately recommended! … Skretvedt's study gives so much more information and is so much more richly detailed that it eclipses earlier efforts."
- Film Quarterly
"Fans will value this exhaustively researched book … Mr. Skretvedt had access to recently unearthed scripts, whose wealth of unfilmed comedy routines is further testimony to the pair's unlimited inspiration"
- The New York Times
"A most congenial and entertaining tribute … there are lots of photographs; lots of wonderful quotes; lots of fascinating anecdotes and inside stories; and best of all, lots of fun."
- Films and Filming
® 2017 by Bonaventure Press