Mouse Under Glass: Secrets of Disney Animation and Theme Parks
By David Koenig
288 pages • 10 Illustrations
Paperback • ISBN: 0-9640605-1-5
Retail Price: $19.95
Hardcover • ISBN: 0-9640605-0-7
Retail Price: $23.95
Ebook • ISBN: 978-0-9640605-9-3
Retail Price: $9.99
To purchase paperback from Amazon.com, click here
To purchase hardcover from Amazon.com, click here
To purchase either binding directly from Bonaventure Press, click here
To purchase Kindle ebook from Amazon.com, click here
To purchase epub ebook from Barnes&Noble.com, click here
Both in feature animation and theme parks, Disney is in a class by itself. But why? What separates The Little Mermaid from The Swan Princess and the Magic Kingdom from Magic Mountain?
By investigating the ideas Disney does and doesn't use, Mouse Under Glass: Secrets of Disney Animation and Theme Parks reveals Disney's tricks of the trade, their deep secret formula that competing animation studios and amusement parks have been unable to replicate. David Koenig, author of the best-selling Mouse Tales: A Behind-the-Ears Look at Disneyland, takes a whimsical, unauthorized look at the unknown and the unusual, from animated classics Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to Tarzan, plus theme parks Disneyland and Disney World.
Exhaustive research and exclusive interviews with animators, storymen, songwriters and Imagineers reveal:
• The often drastically different, occasionally twisted original tales on which the movies were based.
• Ideas, storylines, characters and songs originally planned for the movies and then discarded.
• Sequences actually animated, then deleted.
• Bloopers that made it past the scrutinizing eyes of the perfectionist filmmakers.
• Hidden extras snuck into the movies by prankish animators or stashed in the parks by clever Imagineers.
• Strange reactions to the seemingly innocent productions, from protests to lawsuits.
• Theme park attractions that never made it, such as rides based on Robin Hood, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and other classics.
• and much, much more!
You'll be amazed and amused by a side of Disney you've never seen before.
"Comprehensive and entertaining, and definitely unauthorized."
- Jerry Hirsch, Orange County Register
"Any Disney buff will love this book ... fascinating."
- Terry Mapes, Mansfield News Journal
"The offbeat and unknown."
- Marla Dickerson, Los Angeles Times
"Anyone studying Disney animation and history will find this a fun and informative exposé of one of America's most influential corporations on popular culture."
- Diane Donovan, Midwest Book Reviews
"Consider this a must for Disney-philes."
- Mike Tribby, Booklist
® 2017 by Bonaventure Press